Please reference the table below to find the preparations you need to take for your upcoming exam.
|Holter, Event, ECAT Monitoring||Clean skin, free of powder and lotion.|
|Echocardiogram||Clean skin, free of powder and lotion, wear loose, comfortable clothing.|
|Renal Ultrasound||Fasting for 12 hours prior to test. Hold morning BP meds until after test is completed.|
|Electrocardiogram (EKG)||Clean skin, free of powder and lotion, wear loose, comfortable clothing|
|Cardiac PET||You may eat a light breakfast 2 hours prior. NO CAFFEINE 12 HOURS PRIOR TO TEST, THIS INCLUDES DECAFFEINATED BEVERAGES. Continue to drink plenty of water to assure vein hydration. DO NOT take the following medications on the day of the test: (Imdur) Isosorbide Mononitrate or Dinitrate and NO Nitroglycerine for 6 hours prior to the test. Wear loose, comfortable clothing.|
|Nuclear Medicine Stress Test||You may eat a light breakfast 2 hours prior. NO CAFFEINE 12 HOURS PRIOR TO TEST, THIS INCLUDES DECAFFEINATED BEVERAGES. Continue to drink plenty of water to assure vein hydration. Do not take the following medications 48 hours prior: Albuterol, Pentoxifylin, Theolair, Theo-24, Theophylline, Respid, Trental, Slo-Bid, Theo-dur and Uniphyl. NO Nitroglycerine on the day of the test. Bring a small snack. Wear loose, comfortable clothing.|
|Stress Echo Test||Clean skin, free of powder and lotion, wear loose, comfortable clothing. Hold Beta Blockers if instructed by your physician.|
|Treadmill Test||Clean skin, free of powder and lotion, wear loose, comfortable clothing. Hold Beta Blockers if instructed by your physician.|
|Pulmonary Function Test (Lung Capacity Test)||No Prep for this test|
|Autonomic Function Test||Clean skin, free of powder and lotion, wear loose, comfortable clothing. No food 2 hours prior to test. Drink plenty of fluids. Hold medications if instructed by your physician.|
|Tilt Table Test||Clear liquid or light breakfast the day of the test. Drink plenty of fluids, preferably no caffeine. Take morning meds.|
- You must have nothing to eat or drink after midnight. If your procedure time is scheduled for after 12:00 pm, it is okay to have a light breakfast before 6:00 am.
- Any medication you take in the morning is okay to take with a small amount of water.
- You MUST have someone pick you up from the hospital; you will not be able to drive home.
- Pack an overnight bag for observation due to certain procedures.
Medications to HOLD:
- Metformin: Do not take the morning of your procedure
- Insulin: If you are insulin dependent only take 1/2 a dose the morning of your procedure.
- Coumadin: You will need to hold this medication for 3-5 days prior to your procedure.
- Pradaxa: You will need to hold this 2 days prior to your procedure, unless otherwise instructed.
- Xarelto: You will need to hold this 1 day prior to your procedure, unless otherwise instructed.
- Eliquis: You will need to hold this 2 days prior to your procedure, unless otherwise instructed.
Our office will contact you 1-2 days prior to the procedure with specific instructions. Typically, patients are told to:
- Remain NPO (nothing to eat/drink) after midnight before the procedure
- We encourage patients to take their blood pressure medications with a SMALL sip of WATER the morning of the procedure
- If you take insulin please be aware that you will receive special instructions for the day of surgery
- If you take metformin/medications containing metformin or warfarin (Coumadin), you will be instructed to stop those medications for 3-5 days before the procedure. Please make sure to clarify this with the office staff as circumstances can change with each individual
- Shower the day of/night before surgery
- Feel free to bring a snack/fluids to enjoy after the procedure
- Make sure you are able to recover for 5 days post-procedure
- Most patients will require 5 days of light activity (no heavy lifting/bending/squatting).
– Address: 6200 N. La Cholla Blvd. Tucson, AZ 85741. Phone: 520-742-9000
– You will need to check in through the emergency room. Check in at the outpatient admitting desk.
Oro Valley Hospital:
– Address: 1551 E. Tangerine Blvd. Oro Valley, AZ 85755. Phone: 520-901-3500
– To check in you will need to go to the back of the hospital. There is a surgery entrance you will need to check in at surgery admitting.
Tucson Medical Center
– Address: 5301 E. Grant Rd. Tucson, AZ 85712 Phone: 520-327-5461
– Check in through the Northeast Entrance
St. Mary’s Hospital
– Address: 1601 W. St. Mary’s Rd. Tucson, AZ 85745. Phone: 520-872-3000
– You will need to check in through the main entrance to main admitting
St. Joseph’s Hospital
– Address: 350 N. Wilmot Rd. Tucson, AZ 85711. Phone: 520-873-3000
– You will go into the main entrance and check in with the concierge clerk. They will direct you to outpatient surgeries.
Green Valley Hospital
– 455 S. I-19 Frontage Rd. Tucson, AZ 85622. Phone: 520-808-2382